ABS and Intellectual Property Rights for National Focal Points from Francophone African Countries
31 March-4 April 2014, Dakar, Senegal
Only in French language.
This training provided a more in depth understanding of the linkages between Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) and ABS. National Focal Points (NFPs) on ABS are in great need to familiarize themselves with IPRs and the opportunities and challenges they may pose.
- brief participants on the links between ABS and IPRs and their significance for NFPs,
- explain how the IPRs system is linked to ABS, both substantively and institutionally,
- provide a basic understanding of relevant IPRs such as patents and geographical indications,
- explain alternative TK protection models (also referred to as sui generis systems), and
- provide a platform for dialogue where NFPs can discuss and share concrete practical experience on the interface between IPRs and ABS and discuss possible regional approaches to cope more effectively with these issues.
Up to 55 participants, for the most part National ABS Focal Points or representatives of national and regional authorities in charge of the protection of IPRs in Francophone countries and regions of Africa.