2nd Pacific ABS Workshop
22-24 May 2012, Savaii, Samoa
This workshop was designed to provide ABS National Focal Points of Pacific Island States and Territories, representatives of relevant regional organisations and civil society representatives with information and knowledge relevant for implementing the third objective of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
- Pacific Island country representatives were updated about recent developments in relation to ABS at the international level and their relevance to Pacific Island Countries
- Participant understanding of the biodiscovery industry was deepened through demonstrating business models, presenting Pacific case studies and building understanding of the interaction between ABS and the Treaty for Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- Participants were updated on the status of ratification and implementation of the Nagoya Protocol in Pacific Island countries
- Participants initiated the development of national road maps, including how regional organisations can support this work
- Pacific Island Countries were encouraged to plan for regional coordination at the upcoming ICNP 2.
Thirty representatives from several Pacific Island countries, governments, civil society and international organizations participated at the workshop.
This event was hosted by the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP)
in partnership with the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)